Sunday, February 18, 2007

why blog?

so, it's come to my attention a couple times since i got here that blogs in peace corps can be controversial. peace corps, understandably, worries about controlling its media image and blogs are a new and unpredictable source of media attention. we, the volunteers, can observe, write, and spread information that is incorrect and/or offensive. i feel pretty strongly however, that this blog remain open and accessible because of how much i believe in the new democracy of media. blogs allow everyone to suddenly become journalists and columnists, in a way. we are all suddenly allowed to write about, comment on, and critique the world around us.

all of that said, i feel i must strongly acknowledge that i recognize the power, both positive and negative, that blogs can potentially have. i recognize that i am now, in some ways, a journalist. my observations and words can be taken as fact even though i may not see them as such. my critiques may be misunderstood. my relationship to peace corps may be exaggerated. but, i think that the power we have as individuals to spread our experiences and reflections outweighs those negative.

when i found out that i was coming to zambia, i found very little information on the internet OTHER than peace corps volunteer's blogs, which i tried to keep up with, understanding that they were one of my few sources of information about a world i was soon to be joining. i read those pieces knowing that they came from individuals, with individual experiences (sometimes good and sometimes bad) and individual capabilities of reflection. yet, for that access into a new world i was, and am, thankful.

in my case, my blog is primarily for my family and friends to read about my experiences and reflections on my time here in zambia. however, i am sure that people who i do not know will (and already have) found it and will use it as a resources in their own ways. for that reason, i will do my absolute best to combine journalistic integrity with my own personal stories. blogs present a unique crossroads for this kind of exploration. so, i hope it can be used as such. a piece of journalism, a letter, a story, a reflection and opinion piece, and a view into a world so different from the one i come from and the one most of you who are reading this come from!

a quick note: i did not have to write this, but rather i think it's important to explain some of my "blog philosophy." i hope it's helpful!

No comments: