Monday, December 04, 2006

home

I'm home, which feels both really nice and a bit slow. Emma came home from school the first day I was here and asked what I did: "Well, I slept and then I read a little and met a friend for lunch, and slept some more, and worked out... and read some more, I guess."

Her response: "You're going to be bored soon!"

So yeah, I might get bored soon, but for now at least I'm doing ok. I'm studying for the GRE, trying to work out everyday, reading a bit (right now, The Prince of Marshes about the provisional government in Iraq... interesting if depressing and Istanbul, romantic and beautiful if a bit slow), seeing some friends and Chicago people, and planning a trip east for Christmas/New Year's time for some more goodbyes.

My imminent departure is starting to seem both more real and more normal. I've been e-mailing with two girls who are on the same program as me and it's been comforting to hear similar fears: am I hardcore enough? Will I have to get over my fear of snakes? Will we actually be productive as Peace Corps volunteers? It's also interesting to hear how we all decided on Peace Corps and Africa in particular. A desire to be a place that needs so much, a need for adventure, a push to do work that was meaningful and serving others in some way... I guess that will only become more interesting as I hear about, "meet," and then actually meet all the other people in my group. I'm starting to get excited!

I'm starting to make packing lists... both in reality and in my head. All sorts of things keep popping up: pj pants, hot chocolate mixes, a headlamp, a passport holder (someone somewhere in the Peace Corps state department beauracracy seems to have lost mine! I'm concerned...) and more. I need to try to find a solar panel charger, anyone with experience in this? I'd love suggestions.

In sad news, my Egyptian kitty, Fadoula, was hit by a car last week. It seems a bit ironic that a cat from Egypt would get killed by a car in the states. But maybe it was meant to be or something. Anyway, I miss her a lot and wish she was here cuddling up against my leg. Even more of a reason to find another beautiful little African lion.

No comments: