Thursday, December 14, 2006

'preparation'

I got two new e-mails today from other people who are leaving for Zambia with me in January and I had a conversation with a teacher of mine from high school about how bizarre it is to prepare for this experience.

On one hand I get these e-mails and introduce myself and think about these people who I will spend the next two years with and who I am SO excited to meet. I can't wait to have faces along with names, and voices along with their words on their blogs and in their e-mails, and hopes and dreams to understand and discuss along with the reasons we tell each other for why we decided to do Peace Corps in Africa. I look at the pictures and the youtube videos of current volunteers and I imagine my village, and the kids who I will get to know, and the travels I will get to do and I can't wait to leave.

On the other hand, I have no idea what my life is going to be like. It's exciting to be embarking on this adventure and yet seems almost impossible to prepare for. Should I take my ipod? Should I bring two pairs of jeans? Should I get my eyes checked before I go? Should I worry about getting an HPV vaccine or will Peace Corps give me that? What's my village going to be like? What language will I study and speak (insh'allah) eventually? What work will I do on a daily basis? No clarity. So, the preparation slows and I turn back to my GRE book and say "I think I'll pack in January..."

On top of all the normal questions, Peace Corps seems to have lost my passport (they say it got lost in the mail). So, I spent the day fighting with their beauracracy to try to figure out how to get a new one. Then I asked them "what immunizations are you going to give me?" and the medical officer (isn't that his job?!) can't answer the question. "Oh, you'll get what you need." Oh thanks! I mean, it's probably true and I should probably just trust them, but don't they have a list? On a computer?

My roomate from Cairo, Emily, when I told her the passport story, said laughing "well, just be happy that didn't happen in Cairo!" To which I probably also laughed. I guess, I should be happy I'm dealing with it here before I leave and have to wait in line at the embassy in Lusaka. It's funny though, I almost feel like I'd have more patience for this in Cairo or Lusaka. I mean, why would I even expect my passport application to be processed there? Here I expect it be processed and I expect the mail to work. Maybe I shouldn't...

In closing, I feel like I'm in this bizarre limbo stage of being super excited to leave and talking to other volunteers and starting to gather my belongings and let my heart do a little pitter patter at the experiences awaiting me, and then on the other hand feeling that the word "preparation" means almost nothing to me. What does it mean to "prepare" for this experience?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Heard from Dan Smith that you were about to leave for PC. I was all packed to leave the 12th to do health extension work in Guinea but am delayed at least 3-4 weeks due to nationwide labor strikes there. Best of luck with all the packing, travel, and training. Your work sounds interesting and I'm looking forward to reading more as it really begins.

Geo said...

Great blog Hannah ... even better questions. Yes, pc should be able to give you a list of your immunizations. Sometimes it takes persistance.

You're on the cusp of a truly wonder-filled adventure. I am very happy for you and know you'll do great at embracing it and all it's challenges ... which have already begun. Sadly, pc is a beaurcracy but fortunately it's simply the means and not the end. The goal is helping the folks in Zambia, in your village/town/city.

Yes, take your Ipod [many reasons ... a piece of home/sanity, sharing with your villagers, fun]! I wish that I had had one when I was in the Congo! I hear there is a solar powered Ipod recharger somewhere on the internet. I may have shared this with you before but my indispensible piece of technology was my shortwave radio.

Looking forward to checking in from time to time --- stay in touch!

Geo