Tuesday, January 16, 2007

one week

i leave chicago a week from today and will be in DC for two days before heading to johannesburg and then zambia. it all feels a little surreal.

i've spent the last couple weeks hanging out with my family a lot. it was really fun to have time with tess and we did some of the general stuff to do when we're home (dentists, new glasses, haircuts - mine's really short! etc.) and then also found some time to just chill with each other. we both got obsessed with the HBO show "The Wire." And by obsessed I mean, we watched all of season 1 last week and even though we're in different places now, i'm well on my way to finishing season 2. partly this is because the show is great. it's about the baltimore police department and the way it presents how problems are solved, how the police work, how the gangs (at least in the first season) work and function and how the police and the gangs play each other is very well done.

though, i think part of the reason that i've gotten so hooked is that it's a way to distract my nerves as well. i'm starting to get anxious, not so much about a specific thing, and it's definitely combined with uber-excitement, but more just that it's finally feeling so real. that my bags have to be packed, that i have to say goodbyes to my family. it was very hard to say goodbye to tess yesterday and to really ralize that i won't be there at graduation, that she finishes up at brown this year and starts a new adventure and that i only really get to hear about it through letters. that's exciting and part of me feels like it will encourage us to take the time to think more and have more conversations that we might have anyway, but it feels a bit daunting.

anyway, i know that i'm not the greatest at transitions and i think that the next week will be tough, but then diving in headfirst to the adventure is just what i need. i think i'm starting to feel at a dead end in chicago since i haven't done much productive. i'm excited to get back into a mode of feeling useful and directed. on the note of feeling anxious it's time for you all to start writing me letters! hehe. if you send one now i'll prob get there before it will! here's my address:

Hannah Lantos/PCT
Peace Corps
PO Box 50707
Lusaka, ZAMBIA

i can't wait to hear from you all!!

also, i know it's been a long time since i wrote last. here are some pics:

i spent christmas in ithaca NY with my mom's family, then went up to syracuse to spend some time with eli, and then headed down to new york city for new year's where there might have been a little new year's eve color games action. :-) i don't have pics of that yet, but here are some others.

1. me teaching eli how to make pizza
2. me and eli in new york
3. the brownies in new york after a lovely dinner and drinks
4. me with short(!) hair







2 comments:

Shira Wakschlag, Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund said...

where are the pictures my short haired beauty? :)

Eli said...

I've made a lot of pizza since you left. It has revolutionized my diet.

I can't believe you're off... It was wonderful to get your letter - the first, I hope, of many.

The short hair is "hott."